As part of our Executive Spotlight Series, TechLeadersPOV spoke with Noel Carroll, the CEO of Biofriendly Corporation. Biofriendly produces GreenPlus®, a breakthrough technology that is Eco-labeled by the United Nations for reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions. Under his leadership, Biofriendly has more than doubled in size and directly removed more than 8 million tons of greenhouse gas from the atmosphere.
Can you tell us a story about what brought you to your business? What was behind your desire to start your journey?
Caring about the planet and its longevity is something that’s been instilled in me since a young age. I was raised by two Australian parents, who came from a place that is inherently concerned with the environment – largely the result of historic environmental devastation the nation has seen over the years making natives hyper-aware of the negative impact we can have.
My family’s interest in environmentalism is how Biofriendly came to fruition when it was founded by my father and uncle. With a background in entertainment and with timings aligned, I rejoined the family business at the helm. It’s been five years now, and I’m proud of the achievements we are continuing to see.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you began your career?
One poignant moment that stands out is working with a bus company in Singapore. Unfortunately, the bus fleet was old, and diesel fumes were being pumped into the cabins, with young children inside going to and from school, day in and day out. Already being exposed to these fumes meant children were already coughing and struggling to breathe. While they hated it, they were somewhat used to it and thought that it was just the way of life.
Wanting to do something about it, the bus company found our product online and contacted us. We connected with them and discussed their problems and how we could help. Immediately, we sent our Green Plus® product, which we know will reduce black smoke from diesel engines. The drivers and children experienced immediate change; diesel exhaust fumes were no longer polluting the cabins, and the students and drivers felt remarkably better for it. It’s a win for us that we can help have a positive impact on the next generation’s health.
Can you share a story about a business issue you had to handle and what leadership lesson you learned from that experience?
Challenging the status quo is the most significant challenge we face – something shared with most fellow environmentalists, too. We aren’t going head-to-head with competitors for market share. The competition lies in the fact it’s easier for a business to operate in the same way than to make changes to positively impact the planet. With change comes cost, and for most businesses, it’s cheaper and easier to do nothing. It’s a challenging mindset to shift, but through accessibility and education, we want to play a role in moving the needle.
From a leadership standpoint, the onus is on us to educate the industries we supply so that more businesses can utilize our Green Plus® product and immediately start reducing the volume of harmful CO2 entering our atmosphere.
Do you have any words of leadership advice for others about building their business?
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Supported by self-belief, a solid strategy, and a dedicated team, nothing is too aspirational and any goal can be achieved.
Can you describe how you are using technology to disrupt your industry?
Biofriendly is a two-pronged business. Our core offering is green technology. Namely, the Green Plus® energy transition fuel verified by UNITAR to reduce carbon emissions by 7%. We see the success of the product each year, having recently unveiled our 2022 Operations Performance Report. Last year alone, Green Plus® prevented 1.7 million tons of CO2 from polluting the atmosphere. That’s 3,474.9 billion pounds of CO2, which is on average the equivalent of planting 61.2 million full-grown trees.
The second avenue is environmental education. We do this through our Biofriendly Podcast – a weekly forum for widening the conversation about the environment. Our point of difference is we went to tackle niche green subjects to reach a diverse demographic while maintaining a light-hearted tone.
What are your “3 takeaways or tips” you can share with our readers about your point of view on building a business?
- One task at a time. Most projects pertaining to the environment are large-scale, tackle a status quo, and have many moving parts. This is where I lean on my background in entertainment, where I was privy to parachuting into the middle of numerous busy projects that otherwise wouldn’t have ever come to completion if one aspect wasn’t dealt with at a time. Conquer one task, then move on to the next. Approach each day like this and eventually, the fruits of a project will ripen.
- Strength of mind. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going” seems an apt phrase to use here. I am a firm believer that it’s mind over matter and if you put your mind to it, anything can be achieved. I have been fortunate to be involved with projects of all shapes and sizes in my varied career, most of which have been quite intimidating and large-scale. Even if something seems out of your grasp, the strength of mind and willingness to rise to the challenge will set you on the right path
- Integrity is everything. I’m proud to work for a company that’s entire mission is dedicated to a cleaner planet. I truly believe that when you do good, the rest will follow.
For more information, visit:
- Tech CEO Hearing Puts Focus on Kids Safety Bill
- High Costs of AI Keeps Humans at Work, say MIT
- CES 2024: AI in Focus
- VCs Fuel Mining Startups Amid Electric Vehicle Surge
- Redefining ESG Investing with Physis Investment